Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thankful Day 7: A job

Hands down the job I've been most thankful for was my job as a wellness coordinator at Breakthrough. This is one of the many examples I have to show that God knows what's best for me. You see, my job at BT started out as an internship. Before BT, I had big plans to go to Australia for my internship. When that fell through, this position was offered to me. To be frank, I wasn't too thrilled about the opportunity, but I decided to give it a try anyways. I immediately fell. in. love! After my internship, I said my goodbyes but two weeks later I got a call, and they offered me a job! I worked there after university until I moved to Korea last year.

Breakthrough is a non-profit organization that helps adults with mental illnesses live productive, meaningful lives. Breakthrough meets each individual where they are at. If someone needs a job, they'll do their best to help them find one or work with them on acquiring job skills. If someone needs help with education, they'll provide a tutor or someone to help them enroll. If someone needs an exercise plan and help with their food, they'll motivate and encourage them to improve their health. If someone needs a place to go every day to get out of the house and to be needed and appreciated, Breakthrough provides that.

As a wellness coordinator, I was a health teacher in many ways. So I taught, but let me tell you, they (the members and staff) taught me more than I ever taught them. I met some of the most caring, loving, and accepting people I've ever met in my life. Breakthrough taught me that we are all valuable and have something to offer. Breakthrough taught me to see the good in everyone. Breakthrough taught me that there are times in life when things just get hard, and it's okay not to hold it all together at every second of every day. Breakthrough taught me the importance of work, and the importance of rest. Breakthrough taught me that life is all about relationships. Breakthrough taught me that mental illness does not discriminate- it effects people of all races, religions, education levels, ages, etc. Mental illness is real, and 1 in 4 adults in the U.S. experiences mental illness in a given year (NAMI.)

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to be party of such an amazing organization. Breakthrough will always have part of my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I always recommend Breakthrough as a resource to my inpatients in mental health for when they are discharged! What a wonderful organization! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling them about it! It really is a hidden treasure.

      Delete