Sunday, March 25, 2012

Psalm 146

Besides working until 8:30pm on Friday night, we've had a great weekend. Since we were starving we went back to Dehli. The cheese naan was calling Beka's name and I did not disagree! 

Saturday we went to Busan for the first time to go to the kite festival. We have to admit, we were pretty proud of making it there all by ourselves. Particularly since the bus system is in hangeul, not in the oh-so-familiar letters we're used to. Rumor has it hangeul is pretty easy to learn, but we need to put forth the effort. My Lonely Planet tells me that linguists argue that hangeul is one of the most intelligently designed and phonetically consistent alphabets today. 

Anyways, after our long trip (about 1 hour on each bus ride), we made it to the festival! While wind is good for kites, it was probably too windy that day. It was the windiest day yet here, worse than Kansas winds! That did not stop us from having fun though. Once they announced free kites, we were set! Here are a few shots: 



 Yes the picture above us is the rest of the picture =)


It's hard to argue with a festival on a beautiful beach! 
There were a couple windsurfers out too.


Ok, so differences. You know how in the states most people like to be tan? I don't really care, but whatever, that's a good thing for me here. Koreans think the lighter your skin, the better. They take it to the extreme of putting whitener, aka bleach, in their face wash and moisturizers! I'm thankful that I loaded up on both before I came, and that Tamera told us about this so that we make sure not to use it. Eek. 

This morning, Sunday, Beka and I were supposed to go to church early to practice with the worship team. We slept in and missed the bus. Life would be much easier if I were a morning person, but I'm glad I'm a night person! We're planning on going next weekend. Then tonight we went back to church to watch Courageous. It's similar to Fireproof, but Courageous is about police officers, family & fathers. It was a good movie and it helped fill our craving too! 

We're hoping to go on a field trip this week because it got cancelled last week due to the rain. Field trips get us out of the classroom and we get to wear jeans. Thanks to Beka for asking, we also get to wear jeans on Fridays now. Or, ya know, 'we could always wear a dress.' That was a not-so-subtle hint from our vice principal. haha. Hooray for casual Fridays! 

We have our 10k race coming up in two short weeks. We've only ran twice since we've been here so we have to this week, rain or shine! 

Tomorrow we're planning on going to the post office during our lunch break (because they're closed when we get off and closed on the weekends) so hopefully that will go smoothly and cards will be sent! 

I was looking for a verse of encouragement and found an entire Psalm that spoke to me. I'm especially thankful that I have a heavenly Father tonight.

Psalm 146
Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
I will praise the Lord as long as I live;
     I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
Put not your trust in princes,
     in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation.
When his breath departs, he returns to the earth;
    on that very day his plans perish.
Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
    whose hope is in the Lord his God,
who made heaven and earth,
    the sea, and all that is in them,
who keeps faith forever;
     who executes justice for the oppressed,
     who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free;
     the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.
The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;
     the Lord loves the righteous.
The Lord watches over the sojourners;
     he upholds the widow and the fatherless,
    but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
10 The Lord will reign forever,
    your God, O Zion, to all generations.
Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

  1. Haha they like to be white?! That is so crazy. Yet so perfect for you. :)

    You look like you had a blast at the kite festival! The pictures were precious. Miss you lots!

    The Seed officially launches EASTER weekend! Which is only two weeks away! Can you believe that?! So exciting. We get the sound system this week to install. That will be fun. Maybe it will have magical powers and make us sound phenomenal. ;)

    I hope we can skype soon! I will leave mine up tomorrow morning for you. Love you Alisha.

    ReplyDelete