Sunday, March 11, 2012

Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back.

Ahh weekends! They never are long enough, are they? Such is life I suppose. 


The title is a simple and true quote by Arthur Rubinstein. Yeah, I didn't know who that was either until I looked him up. He was a Polish-American pianist, considered the greatest of the twentieth century. There's your history lesson for the day. You're welcome. 


Today I've been thinking about the importance of relationships, mostly due to meeting so many new people lately. I just love meeting new people, learning about them, and eventually growing with them. Relationships definitely help shape us and mold us into who we are and who we will become. Sometimes pain causes the shaping but many times it is love and friendship that allows growth. 


People have asked how we're adjusting to the Korean culture. The two main differences, like many foreign places, are 1- language, and 2- food. Korean kindness trumps the language barrier though and I find that really amazing/humbling. Beka and I were talking about how we are going to be much kinder to foreigners in the future! =) And, well, you've heard what I have to say about the food. Although tonight, Tamera and Steve took us to a restaurant in Okpo and we had gimbap. I liked it; will have to find a place near us. We also joked today about submitting ourselves to ramen noodles. Ramen noodles are the poor mans food, like rice and beans. I'm all about rice and beans, just unfortunately that's expensive here. I'm sure I'll jump on the ramen train soon. Other cultural differences are not hard to adjust to... taking our shoes off, giving and taking with two hands, letting other people refill your glass, and bowing. We even enjoy the differences. 


The other day Beka and I went to our favorite coffee shop and were reading the word. I'm not sure if I had ever read this story or not, but this time it really stuck out to me. It's the story of a centurion in Matthew 8:5-13. Jesus came through the town the centurion lived in and the centurion stopped Jesus and asked him to heal his servant that was paralyzed at home. Jesus said he would come and heal him but the centurion replied that he was not worthy to have Jesus under his roof, 'but only say the word, and my servant will be healed.' Jesus responded, "Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such a faith.....Go; let it be done for you as you have believed." -8:10b, 13a And immediately the servant was healed. How many times can I say I've had that much faith? Umm, probably never. There was no doubt in his mind that Jesus could heal him from a distance.  I know all I need is faith the size of a mustard seed but I would much rather be like the centurion! I hope you find as much encouragement in those verses as I did! 




Another shot from a hike on Saturday. I like doing something active on Saturday afternoons because I'm usually in bed sleeping/Skyping until 2pm!! We definitely needed the rest, and that's the best time to Skype, but with running or hiking I don't feel like a complete bum.


Pray for energy and endurance for us as we begin our second week! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment