Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Move Right

I'll be honest, I don't feel inspired to write, but I do feel like it's time for an update. We'll see how this goes. Here's to you that read my blog! =)

Rainy season hasn't even officially started yet and it's rained more here in the past 2 months as it probably had in the past year at home. Needless to say, we're going shopping for rain boots on Friday. All the pairs we've come across have been around 30,000 KRW (South Korean Won), but a friend of ours is taking us to a place that sells them for 12,000 KRW. (about $30 vs. $12) Our principal at school gave me one of their umbrellas a month ago, so I'm all set there. It's awesome and very Korean.

Ok, so you know when you're walking down a side walk and someone is approaching you head on? Well, you move right, right? The answer is 'Yes!' You always move RIGHT! Wrong. For some reason, Koreans always move left and it drives me bonkers. The only time they'll move right is if I force them to do so by moving myself as far right as I can get. I don't really understand it considering they drive on the same side of the road as us. Well, now that I think about it, Korean drivers aren't the best. Maybe they just need to learn the simple rule, move right!

Tomorrow we're supposed to go on a field trip to watch a musical. Can't wait to see what that turns out like!  Field trips are always an adventure here. Then on Friday we're celebrating Children's Day. ha! Who would have ever thought I would be celebrating Children's Day!! The field trip and celebration day should help make it a good week.

Beka and I have been planning on learning the Korean alphabet since we got here and it hasn't happened yet. Tonight we finally wrote them out on flashcards. We're one step closer to learning it. I wonder if there is a song to go with it?! I'm also planning on writing key words/phrases on note cards such as 'no meat'. We also already feel more empathetic towards our children. =)

For my visual people. If you remember, the language is supposed to be easy to learn and one of the most phonetically consistent alphabets today. haha. We'll see how this goes. 


This weekend we're going to Seoul. We're hoping to find a Mexican restaurant and we're going shopping. Looking forward to H&M and Forever 21 and hoping their prices aren't as high as most Korean retail stores!

That's about it. Adios amigos.

2 comments:

  1. The whole "moving left" thing cracked me up. That is hilarious. Also I love that you used the word bonkers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! I think you know what I'm talking about. Also, I like how you're forcing the Koreans to change their life customs to suit your needs rather than adapt :-P

    ReplyDelete