Monday, May 7, 2012

Confessions of a Shopaholic

It's true. I love to shop. Particularly for clothes. I wouldn't say I'm a fashionista, but I love a good outfit.

It's a blessing in disguise that I live where I live. In my area, shopping is ridiculously expensive. Simple blue sweater? 60,000 KRW. And although I love shopping & clothes, I'm also a bargain shopper for the most part. So if the price isn't right, it's easy for me to turn it down. 

However, Seoul (pronounced, as corrected by my students, Saw-ule), is just a 4 hour bus ride away. We went over the weekend with full intentions of shopping and eating. Can I get a hip-hip-hooray??! 

First stop, Myeong-dong market. Let me tell you, this place is crazy! I've never seen so many people shopping. Street after street literally full of people walking. I found out it's the number 1 tourist destination and over one million shoppers pass through this area each and every day! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I walked into H&M. After two H&M's we also went to Forever 21, and a few other places. 


The people were never ending! 

After, it was time to fill our bellies with the long awaited Mexican food!! It was spicy & delicious. 

Yes, please.

We ended our night with some live jazz music and the adventures of the early closing subway. Who would think the second largest city in the world would close it's subway at 11:55pm?! We did a little running and then got kicked out two stops later when we tried to transfer. Not to fear, we taxied the rest of the way to our motel. 

 Mid-day and packed 

About 11:53pm 

Sunday we began our day with breakfast. Pancakes with bananas, walnuts, syrup, and ice cream. Yes, ice cream. It was amazing. 

Usually I don't even eat pancakes with syrup, 
let alone ice cream, but it was a nice treat.

Shopping on Sunday centralized around souvenir type items at Insa-dong market. 

 Hand painted fans

The only Starbucks written in Korean. 

On the bus ride home I had a Tomatillo burrito, comparable to Chipotle, but again, it was spicy. They like to add lots of jalapenos to their Mexican which I'm not used to but I definitely ate! 

Over all, a very fun weekend! We were thankful to go with some veteran friends that knew the ins and outs and knew how to get around. Next time around we plan on doing touristy type stuff. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your mexican food! But not those massive crowds and tiny subways! Glad you had fun and got to feed your addiction :-P (FIRST!!!) Haha.

    ReplyDelete